CALL FOR PAPERS
International Student Conference in English Studies
University of Zagreb
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, 7-9 May 2020
ENGLISH STUDENT CLUB X.A. is pleased to announce the fifth International Student Conference in English Studies ANGLOPHONIA: HORIZONS, which will take place FROM 7 TO 9 MAY 2020 at the FACULTY OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES IN ZAGREB, Croatia. The conference will provide a platform for young scholars (BA, MA and PhD students, graduates and scholars who have recently obtained a PhD) to discuss their works in a friendly, yet professional environment. The aim of the conference is to connect young and promising researchers who share an interest in all areas of Anglophone studies by providing them with an opportunity to exchange information, ideas, and views.
The theme of the conference will, like in previous years, be ANGLOPHONE STUDIES, but with an emphasis on the future of not just Anglophone studies, but the future of the humanities as a whole. We especially encourage you to submit work that covers the relationship of the Anglophone world with the digital domain, and work that aims at the negotiation of the aforementioned areas with other scientific disciplines, both in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary terms. The areas covered include, but are not limited to:
- Anglophone literature, as well as other art forms, literary theory, semiotics
- Anglophone cultures, politics, history, society, the media, the Anglophone technosphere, philosophical inquiry into Anglophone cultures
- Translation studies, translation technologies, translation theory
- Linguistics, esp. computational linguistics, natural language processing, corpus linguistics, cognitive science
- TEFL, the use of IT in the English classroom, education in the Anglophone world
Date of the conference: May 7-9, 2020
Conference venue: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Ivana Lučića 3, Zagreb, Croatia
Organizer: English Student Club X.a.
Application deadline: January 31, 2020
Notification of acceptance: February 15, 2020
Working language: English
Conference fee: 75 HRK (10 EUR)
The application form can be found on the conference’s official website or access the form directly at https://goo.gl/forms/C3Bw2MG4RwHzA7vm2. You are required to send an abstract containing no more than 1800 characters, 3-6 keywords and at least two references.
Presentations will last up to 15 minutes with additional 5 minutes for questions, comments, and discussion.
The registration fee will be paid upon arrival at the conference and it includes:
- accommodation (hostel)
- admission to all student presentations and keynote lectures
- welcome package (including the program and promotional materials)
- book of abstracts and certificate of participation
- refreshments during coffee breaks, as well as lunch on the first two days of the conference (Thursday, Friday)
- social event and sightseeing tour
Travel expenses will not be reimbursed.
Selected papers will be published in the next volume of Patchwork, an international double-blind reviewed academic student journal, indexed on the Portal of Croatian Scientific and Professional Journals and Google Scholar. An e-mail with paper submission guidelines will be sent after the conference.
Organizers reserve the right to cancel the social event and/or the sightseeing tour depending on interest, weather, or other circumstances. By applying, participants consent to being photographed, recorded and/or filmed. All data will be used in accordance with official regulations (Regulation (EU) 2016/679 and Regulation (EC) No 45/2001).